Wednesday, May 13, 2009

K'Naan "T.I.A."

K'NAAN "T.I.A" music video directed by: NABIL from nabil elderkin on Vimeo.



Love this song, love this video. I grew up in Africa, and it holds a special place in my heart. K'Naan does not disappoint with the song, and neither does Nabil who directs the video (also directed Kanye's trippy video for "Welcome to Heartbreak"). African art, beats, dance, people. While no video can truly capture the experience of visiting or living in Africa, it still helps to hear the poetry of the continent. The problem is that Africa, like every other continent if not more so, is an extremely diverse place with an extremely diverse people. Every tribe, country, ethnicity, religion, city, village, etc. has its own culture, stories, history.

I'd recommend that everyone visit, and while there, get off the reservation. The world would be a very different place if everyone got a chance to experience even a fraction that Africa had to offer. I have lived on the continent off and on for about 12 years, traveled throughout frequently, but most of Africa is still a mystery to me that I can't wait to explore.


I hope you've got your passports, and vaccine shots

I'd take rappers on a field trip any day
They never been opposite real clip anyway
I know where all the looters and the shooters stay
Welcome to the city we call Doomsday.

When niggaz is just fried chicken like Tuesday
Oh, you from the hood huh? who say?
My Nigerian niggaz would call you Pussy
My Somali niggaz are quick to grab the uzi

Around here we only bumping Fela Kuti
Tupac, or Bob Marley, Lucky Dube.
So we don't really give a fuck about your groupies
This Is Africa, Hooray.
T.I.A!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment